Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Placing God in the #1 spot

Then Samuel said to all the people of Israel, “If you are really serious about wanting to return to the LORD, get rid of your foreign gods and your images of Ashtoreth. Determine to obey only the LORD; then he will rescue you from the Philistines.” So the Israelites got rid of their images of Baal and Ashtoreth and worshiped only the LORD.1 Samuel 7:3

It is hard to give up all the things we put in front of God in our lives. I know that I spend hours messing with seemingly unimportant things on the internet. I read romance novels that don’t help me improve my ways of thinking. I spend an infinite amount of time dreaming of all the ways I believe I need to spend money. Yet, I spend little to no time each day in the word of God. I imagine that it isn’t much different for other Christians.

Most of us believe our lives are important and our time is ours to spend as we wish…..what a lie. Our time belongs to God. He wants all of our heart, soul, mind and strength. The most precious thing he has given us is the chance for our souls to spend eternity with him. Don’t let yourself get caught up in the earthy things. Put God first and set aside all those time consuming idols. Worship and pray with the LORD.

Dear Heavenly Father, I praise you for all the patience you have shown me as I have turned to other things in this world to occupy my time instead of spending quality time with you first. Forgive me for making idols out of things in my life. Help me to turn to you with a heart that is pure and devoted to you. I am determined to conquer my idols and to keep you first in my life. Help me to be an example for others to see so that my life is a demonstration of your love and faithfulness. In the name of Christ my LORD, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment. Thoughts are welcome.